Goals & Objectives
- Learn the roles of the anesthesiologist in the pre-, intra-, and postoperative care of surgical patients. This includes exposure to pediatric and adult anesthesiologists.
- Learn the roles of anesthesiologists who perform their duties outside of the operating room. These include anesthesiologists who practice in the ICU, pain clinics, preoperative clinics, and research laboratories.
- Learn general principles of pharmacology that apply specifically to anesthetic and anesthetic adjuvant drugs.
- Learn the basics of preoperative anesthetic evaluation and optimization of patients prior to surgery.
- Learn principles of airway management and ventilation with masks and airway adjuvants. Learn techniques of endotracheal intubation along with its indications and complications.
- Learn basic methods of monitoring human physiology during anesthesia.
- Learn basic methods of administering and monitoring the depth of anesthesia.
- Participate in the care of patients throughout their entire perioperative course.
- Attend departmental Grand Rounds: Tuesdays 6:00 to 8:00 AM; Pauly Auditorium (Ed III, COPH Building)
- Complete assigned reading from the introductory anesthesia book that will be provided to you.
- Be prepared to discuss, in general terms, the implications of specific disease states on anesthetic management.
- Ask questions regarding any aspects of anesthesia and/or medical care.
- Give us feedback as to how to improve this rotation for subsequent medical students.
- HAVE FUN
Current Freshman Medical Students
- Hands-On Airway Management
- Fluid and Transfusion Therapy
- Applied Pharmacology: Anesthetics, Pressors, Antihypertensives
- Applied Cardiopulmonary Physiology
- Applied Renal Physiology
- Applied Neurophysiology
- Hemodynamic Monitoring in the OR and ICU
- Perioperative Medicine
- Postoperative Pain Management
Dates: 2017 Summer Preceptorship – (2) 4 week rotations: (first session) May 30th – June 23rd / (second session) June 26th – July 21st, 2017
Location: UAMS Obstetrical Anesthesia Unit; UAMS Operating Rooms; ACH Operating Rooms; UAMS Surgical Intensive Care Unit; UAMS Pain Clinic; UAMS Ambulatory Care Unit
Number of Positions: 6 (maximum)
Stipend: Work study or equivalent (approx $1,280) You do NOT have to be on work study to apply!!!
Application Deadline: 12:00 midnight – February 3rd, 2017
Application Form (WordDoc): PRECEPTORSHIP APPLICATION
For further information, please contact:
Kristen Lienhart, M.D.
Pager Number – 688-6853